Thursday, July 5, 2007

We finally arrive in Wyoming!

The day started out with a bang. While packing up to get us and our rig out of Provo Utah, Claire decided to dump an entire soda onto our bed. So rather than leave we had to run a load of laundry. I was none too happy about this. But we did eventually get on the road and once in Wyoming we stopped at Fossil Buttes National Monument where we got to see the fossilized fish and tropical plants from what was once a gigantic lake--now a dry dusty nothing. It was really cool though, and I'm proud to report that Meagan became a National Park Senior Ranger and Mike, Joseph, Marianne and Christopher all became Junior Rangers. This entailed them doing a bunch of learning activities at the visitor center and then having a demonstration with the ranger who showed them how to excavate a fossil and finally taking an oath to protect our national parks, never litter in the parks, never feed or chase animals etc. After which each of them was given a Park Ranger badge. After all of that we got on the road again and realized we would never make it to Cody tonight, so instead we are camping in Grand Teton. This switch of campgrounds was not without incident however. We were in the Bridger National Forest when we realized we weren't going to make it to Cody. So naturally there was no cell phone service and I needed to make a reservation at a new campground and cancel the old reservation. Finally we get to an area where there is a cell tower and I start calling the campground. At the exact moment that I finished saying to the clerk "Do you have a site available for tonight?" Marianne lets our a blood curdling howl from the back seat. I say "hold on" to the girl on the phone and at the precise moment that Charlie turns around to see what the heck is going on in the back, a deer runs into the street at which time I start yelling "DEER! Hit the breaks!" All the while Marianne still screaming and the poor girl from the campground on the phone. Some days, I could go without all of the excitement y'know. The good news is that we did not hit the deer. The bad news is Claire had bitten Marianne on the hand. When Charlie pulled over and got back there and she said to Claire "why did you bite Marianne?" She replied, "I'n know" which means I don't know. Marianne is fine, but I'm sure it hurt. And the I can't imagine what the poor person on the phone was thinking with all of this going on while she was on the line. Well the day is over and tomorrow we head out for Grand Teton National Park, then on to Cody KOA and Yellowstone.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

2 comments:

Ned said...

Hi Tina,
It's Helen and Lisa here from Australia. We are family friends of Meagan's.
Hy sent us your link so we can keep up with what Meagan is up to on your holiday.
The photos are great and we look forward to seeing more.
Say "Gidday" to Meagan for us.
Love Lisa & Helen

benko said...

Hi Tina!
It's Laura (ASA)! Your vacation sounds like the one that we took a few years ago. Every summer we take a camping trip (in a pop-up camper) through Yellowstone. A couple of years ago we went all the way and decided to visit Jim's Aunts in Wyoming. I think we have pictures of our 5 kids infront of the same tee-pees!
We are still busy moving to Illinois. I love teaching 4th grade. (what is an Instructional Designer?). I am going right now to look for carpet to lay in the cottage we purchased to live in while we build.
I LOVE your photos. I will check back soon.
Have a blast for us. (we are moving... not camping this summer)
Love, Laura