Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Bryce Canyon National Park, UT






July 3, 2007

I am so exhausted. We started out the day with the kids playing at the campground. There are teepees here that the kids were able to play in, so they took my camera and Marianne filmed a movie staring Joseph and Claire. I'm assuming it was a western since it took place in the teepee.



We left around noon and went over to Bryce Canyon National Park. We took the kids part of the way DOWN the Canyon. We did not just stick to the paved trails, but actually descended a good bit. There was a park ranger hanging out on the first switchback and she warned us that coming up is five times harder than going down, she told us not to go too far or we'd have to carry the little ones out and it wouldn't be any fun in the full sun. (That park ranger took this picture you see of all of us.) We followed her advice and went only a short way. It was worth it though. I've never seen anything like this place in my life. We have 165 pictures just from today. It was just amazing. The kids did fine. Mike is at the perfect age for this sort of vacation. Chris on the other hand did alot of "Mom, I'm so tired; I'm so hot; do we have to keep walking?" Much to his credit, whining aside, he made it back up the canyon without having to be carried. Claire did great as well, but she has it easy riding around on Charlie's back. We all got a bit of a sunburn today, because we were out for so long. We saw SO many animals: pronghorns, mule deer, wild turkeys, chipmunks, squirrels, western blue birds, and I think that is it.




This being Mormon country, (my brother in law Joe would love it here) things close up early. Restaurants all close at 9:30 which is before the sun sets for crying out loud. We really had to get our act together to make it to dinner on time. And things don't come cheap in the National Parks. Anyway here are a few pictures of our day. Tommorow we set off for Provo Utah. We will be spending the night near the Utah Lake. We will be just south of the Great Salt Lake.

My feet hurt and I need a shower. Otherwise all is good on the Western Front. To answer my dear old friend Marty's question: yes, you would be hard pressed to find a good nail salon out here. I'm definately going in for a foot massage when this whole adventure is over!

Hope your fourth is fab, and you see some great fireworks!






No comments: